Tuesday, 16 August 2011

And another one!

This was actually the first one I started but got bored with! It was my practice quilt and as I had lots of pink fabrics and no girls, I decided to use them up on this. It's a cot bed size and now I have no idea what I am going to do with it!

Then that got me thinking, I should really make something I want to actually use...... So I've now started making a quilt with these fabrics...... I absolutely love these fabrics I bought from M is for Make. I'm going to use a lot of plain colour sashing to soften it all. I've really got the quilting bug now, but as usual don't have the time to do it all.... At least me putting it on this blog means that I can't procrastinate, I have to finish!

Thursday, 11 August 2011

Hoorah hoorah I've finished

My first quilt properly finished! It has literally cost me blood, sweat and tears! It was going so well with the freehand machine embroidery on the top of the quilt, when for some reason all the stitches on the back suddenly started to look like horrible eye lashes. I tried everything to sort it out - different tensions, different needles, different cottons etc etc. It was so frustrating, that in the end I took it back to the shop I bought it from (this is after weeks of trying). They knew immediately what the problem was - apparently Janome machines have to have their own type of bobbins - you can't use ones with ridges around or metal ones don't you know! It was so frustrating that I had spent so long trying to sort it out and it was as simple as that. Grrrrr.

Anyway all sorted now and making another quilt will be so much quicker as I kind of know what I am doing with the freehand machine embroidery, although there are mistakes of course!